Thursday 19 November 2009

Couldnt post yesterday!

I couldnt post yesterday because Josh's Mum wasnt very well and had to go to bed early - that meant that I couldnt get the laptop out on my own.  Never mind, here I am now! 
This picture is of me and Sue Lowe comparing our colour sense - we obviously both felt in a red mood yesterday!  Sue is the Voluntary Volunteer Co-ordinator for libraries - this means that she does a very good job getting all the volunteers sorted out and into placements but doesnt get paid!  WOW!  Thats one very special lady!  Sue told me that we use a lot of volunteers in libraries, for all sorts of different roles.  Some volunteers come and help out in the Summer only - they are Summer Reading Challenge Volunteers - they come and listen to the children talking about the books they have read, then they encourage them to read more books!  Some of those volunteers also help out all year - they are Reading Buddies and they help by listening to the children actually reading their books.  I had to ask Sue about these two again because they sounded like the same thing - but no, the first one talks with the children about what they have read, the second actually get the children to read to them.  She said that we also have volunteers who help people with the computers, some that help out with children's clubs (teaching them to knit and things like that) and then some others who go out to people's houses with books.  Sue explained that not all people can get to the library so these volunteers work with staff and go take the library to them!

Josh's mum said that all the volunteers were really important and they helped libraries do lots more things than they could do on their own.  Yay the volunteers, thats what I say!

Today there was more paperwork!  More emails - Josh's Mum let me answer a few myself!  And some more work on the plan for the year - the Local History Librarian sent us a list of all the important anniversaries for the next 5 years and they needed to be slotted into next year's plan. 

Then we went off to the Warhammer club at Hornchurch Library.  Josh's Mum forgot to take the camera so I had a little nap in the car - she said she would remember to bring it next week and that I could blog about it then!

Nighty Night
Monkeyx



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to leave me a message - I feel all loved and squishy now! Monkey Monkey x